Friday, August 19, 2011

body wrap

Today I went over to my mom's and got a body wrap.  They have at-home kits these days and hers is particularly professional because that's what she used to do professionally when I was a kid.

To me, a body wrap is as second nature as using toilet paper but if you weren't raised by a very health-conscious mother, you probably think a body wrap is when you go to a spa and get your whole ass covered in kelp while flutey world music plays in the background.

Well you're wrong.  Dead wrong.

You're wrapped in ace (Ace?  ACE?) bandages soaked in a mineral solution.  Per the body wrap theory, fat cells are pushed apart by toxins in the body giving you flab and cellulite and just making you generally more awful looking than you have to be.  So your body exchanges the minerals for the toxins (I don't know if that's true.  I'm not saying it's not, but I don't know that that's scientifically accurate.  I do know that toxins and other messes are stored in fat tissue, as are hormones like estrogen.) and the toxins are sent out to collect in plastic bags that are rubber-banded to your hands and feet.  The ace bandages then push your fat cells together.  For this to work particularly well, you need to have a softer, more broken up fat.

I am not really the ideal candidate for this as my fat is pretty much solid but I did lose some inches, especially in my arms.  You aren't supposed to lose weight with this, as the fat is not used for energy and eliminated; it's condensed.

It's hard work and kind of uncomfortable.  It's not something I want to do weekly but I do think I will do a few more during my weight loss journey, if not just to satisfy my mother's curiosities... but for me too... it makes my skin extra soft and glow-y.
a tracksuit made of thick garbage bag material keeps you warm and makes you look homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment